Monday, August 10, 2009

Innocence.

My sister-in-law, Jennifer, had her baby this weekend.  Baby Eli.

100_5760 edit

Hello baby Eli.  You are so tiny.  So cute.  So innocent. 

Jennifer is a single mother. 

My father-in-law, Will, was in the delivery room when Eli was born.  He cut the cord.  Sydney saw the pictures during our visit and was in awe. 

This is the conversation we had last night as I tucked her into bed:

“Mom?  I don’t think Baby Eli looks much like a Kunkel.” 

Well,  I think he has Jenni’s nose but we don’t know what his dad looks like so it is really hard to say.”  I said. 

“What do you mean we don’t know what his dad looks like?  I thought Papa Will was his dad?” she asks. 

No, no…Papa Will cannot be his dad.  He is Eli’s grandpa just like he is yours.” I correct her.  Then I braced myself for an impromptu conversation about the birds and the bees. 

Instead she says, “Oh.  Well maybe they just have not found a dad for him yet.” 

Exactly!” I say.  “Goodnight.”

100_5813 edit

No comments:

Post a Comment