Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Joke. (part 2)

As my iPod whispered sweet nothings into its speakers, I wiped away the cob webs that had accumulated from a year’s worth of neglect.   I promised, this time, to treat it with respect and dignity.  I swore (on Girl Scout’s honor) never to use obscene hand gestures ever again.  After a few test runs, it was clear the treadmill and I had buried the hatchet.

Next I had to make a withdrawal from my children’s college fund so I could purchase a pair of “running” shoes from a store that specializes in, of all things, running shoes!  Upon my arrival the man asked me what I was looking for.  ME:  “A pair of running shoes.”  HIM:  “Do you run frequently?”  ME:  “No offense but does this body LOOK like it runs anywhere but to be first at the buffet line?”  HIM:  Snicker, laugh, eye roll

After 45 minutes walking around the store with old shoes, no shoes and 17 different kids of new shoes he tells me there is a problem.  ME:  “Of course there is a problem because this whole thing is a joke.”  I tell him.  “Do you want to here it?  My joke?”  HIM:  “Not really.”  ME:  “Ok then.  What could possibly be a problem”  HIM:  “Well, your feet are sooooo wide that I do not sell a woman’s shoe wide enough to fit your “running” foot properly.”  ME:  Blank stare.  HIM:  “Soooo, that last shoe you tried on is a men’s seven and a half quadruple extra wide.  That is THE only shoe I have that will fit you properly”  ME:  “Of course.  Sooooo does this shoe come with a WIDE LOAD sign so people behind me will know not to get too close to the sides of my feet?”  HIM:  “The register is that way.”  ME:  “Thanks for your help.” 

DSC_1184     

(…to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment