Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Snowman Kit

So the day we built our "Elusive Snowman" I set up my tripod and took a family picture. At that very moment the editor for the local newspaper happened to be driving by. She emailed me that evening asking for a copy of that picture so she could print it in that week's paper. I have to admit I was a tad embarrassed but mostly thrilled at the thought of some stranger enjoying our snowman as much as I enjoyed it. The rest of my family was thoroughly embarrassed.



The day the article was printed we had a staff lunch at the preschool where I work. Everyone commented on the article and congratulated me on such a great snowman. It seems everyone's children had made snowmen that weekend and so the lunch topic became: What Household Items Did Your Children Use To Decorate Their Snowmen?


Mrs. Sue commented that her children had used vanilla wafers for eyes, a carrot for the nose and raisins for the mouth. Mrs. Polly's children used Oreo cookies for eyes and various rocks they dug out of the plant beds around the yard. Pastor noted that, coming from a family of ten children, they were forbidden to use food items and, instead, used checker pawns or charcoal for eyes and marbles for the mouth. Everyone agreed that each one's children used their own clothing items for hats and scarves.


I listened intently all the while thinking "vanilla wafers? Oreo cookies? checker pawns?" Suddenly the question was tossed my way. "What did you use Melanie?" "Ummm...." I was trying to think of unique items that we may or may not have used and I was trying to think of them quickly. "Well? What DID you use?" they prodded. "I have a kit" I squeaked out. A resounding "WHAT?" echoed from just about everyone at the table. "I HAVE A SNOWMAN KIT! There, I said it!" Knee slapping laughter erupted from most....., no wait, .....EVERYONE at the table. After about 5 minutes of my co-workers (I call these people my friends) laughing in hysteria I was bombarded with questions and comments: "What is a snowman kit? I've never heard of such a thing! It never occurred to you to use household items? Where is your creativity? Your poor children! You really are from Florida!" It was at that point that I realized my life around here would never be the same.


Now, let me just say that I LOVE my snowman kit and when I saw it on page 37 of the Lillian Vernon catalog I figured it was a must have for moving to the snowy mid-west. And the best thing about it is that there are enough decorations for a family of four.


Behold the snowman kit:


















The box is hand painted and was personalized with our name (least anyone else mistake it for their snowman kit).


It comes with four hats, four scarves, various sized carrot noses, eyes and buttons.

















Oh, and I almost forgot about the pipe. It's not corncob like Frosty's but it works just fine.


So now when it snows I get the, "Hey Mrs. Melanie, you bust'n out the snowman kit this weekend?" followed by knee slapping laughter.


I'm just thankful I never told them about the snowball and block maker I bought too.

No comments:

Post a Comment